Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Muzak

We've all been subjected to it - background music "soothing" our way through life. In the elevator, the store, even the streets. If you are lucky, maybe you can filter it out and pretend that it's not there. Usually I can. In fact, my family say that I have refined the art of "filtering" to a fine art. They contend that I can be at home, apparently listening to them rambling on, even nod and reply, all this whilst not even being aware that they are talking. Lucky me!

But, this week was just to much. In case you don't know, this week all we of the Jewish faith "celebrate" Purim which is a festival to commerate the saving of the Jews from destruction in Persia over 1000 years ago. Nice idea, good reason to celebrate. Celebrations usually mean dressing up and getting totally sloshed, pissed, non compos mentis, fall down drunk.

I have no problem with that even though I (obviously being a grumpy old man, hate dressing up and refuse to) and don't drink alcohol ( Not for any moral reason - It just tastes disgusting) However, what did get my goat this week was at work. Every break time (I work in a school) THEY insisted on playing over the intercom system loud, unpleasent music and making (shouting) slogans to get people to dress up. Apart from the fact that the sound quality would sound better coming out of my rear end (small, cheap, tinny speakers - not my rear end) the volume was deafening and impossible to escape from.

I tried all, in vain, to get them to at least turn it down, pleaded, begged, asked nicely, threatened THEM with castration and worse. I even tried to find the wires leading to the speaker to cut them. All to no avail!

THEY just don't seem to realise that not everybody enjoys the noise - and even if everybody else does - I DON'T and I am the only one who matters!

Next year beware, I'll super glue the microphone and replace their idiotic music with some classical stuff by the Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin or Yes. Or I could be really nasty and put on Abba!

No comments: